Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Awkward Elevator Ride Deviation.

After formulating the Patrick Stewart Hotel Amenity Algorithm (which correctly predicted that the Palliser Hotel would be hosting the very disappointing, extremely frustrating Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo's celebrity guests) I set about creating the 'Awkward Elevator Ride Deviation.' This predicted that the standard amount of shame and awkwardness I feel while riding the elevator to and from the hotel pool in my bathing suit would increase exponentially if there was a celebrity in the elevator with me. Hence I purchased a bathing suit cover-up from Sears.

On Friday night after briefly checking out the BMO Centre we decided to visit the Palliser's pool.  I got on the elevator. With my children. With my husband. With my bathing suit cover-up from Sears. With Katee Sackhoff from Battlestar Galactica.

"We're going to the pool. That's why we're dressed like this," is how I greeted Ms Sackhoff and her friend as they stepped into our carriage.

"I was wondering." she replied.

"I thought I would mention this, lest you think that wearing bathing suits is customary formal attire for a Friday night in Canada and you are now racked with fear that everyone in Calgary will know that you are a foreigner." 

"Thank God you let me know."

Who is the Queen of the Slightly Awkward Elevator Banter? ME! I was smooth. I was clever. I was mildly amusing! I did not squeal (out loud) when I realized I was close enough to touch Starbuck. More importantly: I did NOT touch Starbuck. I am so impressed with me! Based on this tweet, Katee was also impressed with me:



Oh, Katee. You're so right: it does take courage and strength to walk around in public in a bathing suit cover-up from Sears. Thanks for the validation.





11 comments:

  1. AAAIIIEEEE! I am beyond jealous. That's it, next expo, I'm coming just to stay at the hotel and ride the elevators until I run into someone from BG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three words: Tamoh OHMIGODTHEHOTNESS! Penikett.

      Delete
  2. You are strong and brave, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, I will always cherish drinking w/ you and HappyGeek75 in the Palliser Hotel bar. I was super tipsy afterward. Cos I'm a cheap drunk.

      Delete
  3. Good to see that Katee recognises your awesomeness. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you. As much as Katee Sackhoff does...or maybe even more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just typed several variations on 'Ha!' and erased them and tried to come up with something more intelligent and failed. I love you. And Starbuck. Even if she spelled 'whose' wrong (it was probably auto-correct, right? We're probably lucky it didn't say 'whore' instead of 'whose', probably).

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband just looked at me like I was crazy because I did my BIG OBNOXIOUS LAUGH OUT LOUD!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is so funny. I laughed out loud. My too-old-to-still-be-nursing-but-what-the-heck 3yo said, "Mommy, stop laughing. Your tummy is bouncing me off your lap."

    ReplyDelete
  8. The real question is how long were you riding in the elevator waiting for her! Hee. So glad your hotel fun made up for the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for linking to this at year end. I love this post. :)

    ReplyDelete