Friday, September 20, 2013

Fogo in the Fall.


Clear cuts are really beautiful. The boys and I continue to walk Fogo through the one at the top of our street. It's been amazing to watch the reforestation process firsthand. 

• • • • • • • •

Things I think about before I fall asleep at night:
"Did I lock the front door? Probably. What does it matter -- I live in low-crime area. "
"Why did I stay up so late?"
"I would definitely prefer to hang out in Quark's bar. Actually it would be Quark's bar, then 10-Forward, then the mess hall on 1701-A, and lastly Neelix's."

Things I think about when I wake up in the morning:
"UGH -- this bite guard is really gross. Where's my water glass?"
"Shut up, marimba, you are the most annoyingly chirpy alarm tone."
"Oh thank god, Mr Wrath brewed coffee."

Obviously Kate Winslet is a better mother than I:
My children are my whole life. Any mother knows that – the second your child is born, they become the first thing you think about when you wake up in the morning and the last thing you think about at night.
Huh. She's on her third husband. Do you suppose there's a connection?

I am a better mother (and wife) than Shona Sibary, however:
So why have I decided to make Dolly start school even though she still requires a dummy for comfort and wears nappies every night? The answer's simple. After 14 years of fitting my writing career around my brood's needs, I've had enough. The main reason she's going to school is because, shamefully, it makes my life a hell of a lot easier. I know this makes me sound heartless. Even I'm surprised at my behaviour. Especially because the entire reason we decided to have Dolly was so that I could give up work and savour every precious moment with one last child.

Shona Sibary also drugs her children on planesdoubts and tests her husband's love, questions statutory rape lawsslut-shames her 14 year old,  thinks her well-used uterus is superior to Samanth Brick's pretty face, and uses the tv as a nanny. Every single article is illustrated with photos of her four children. Including the one about their family's dire financial state. People judge mommy-bloggers for broadcasting their personal lives into the public sphere for profit. Sibary is worse than any mommy-blogger I've ever read.

• • • • • • • •

Should we be upset when professionals decide dogs trained to be weapons are unfit to be "rescued" and integrated into human society as companion animals?

I say no.

• • • • • • • • 



I love Star Trek. Patrick Stewart's Jean-Luc Picard is one of my favourite characters. I will always cherish the memory of that time I mistook Stewart for an angry indigent person

However, I am not one of the people gushing about his recent marriage. It's his third. He's 73. His newest bride is 35. If his track record is any indication they will have a beautiful marriage. For the next five years. Then he'll trade her in for a newer, younger version. Like when he left his first wife for the actress who played Vash on TNG. Like when he left Wendy Neuss for Lisa Dillon.

Picard would never do that to Beverly. NEVER.



7 comments:

  1. As I said on Twitter yesterday, Shona Sibley just made me more and more depressed the more of her things I read. I made it through 2.5 of her articles and decided that was it for me. I couldn't take her anymore. The one with her 4 YO particularly hit home because her daughter is only a month younger than mine and Youngest is not ready for real school. She goes to daycare, which is not inexpensive, but is developmentally appropriate for her at 4. The thought of putting her with the big kids at Oldest's school made me feel simultaneously sad and anxious.

    Speaking of sad, Patrick Stewart. Look, I know JLP is a fictional character and is not the same as PS, but PS in real life had some very good moments and qualities, but then he had to go and marry a 35 YO leading to that video of him demonstrating the quadruple take and it nearly ruined him for me. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sibary is a "hate read" for me: I hate that I read her stuff, but I can't stop. Though generally it does make me feel better about the state of my own homelife and my decision to blog anonymously. But yes, that girl would be better off in daycare. Of course Sibary holds daycare workers in very low regard. She once wrote, " Depending on where you live, you can pay between £45 and £80 a day per child. This never ceased to amaze me when I visited such establishments, because they always seemed to be staffed by overweight 18-year-old girls who doubtless had some NVQ in bottom-wiping or whatever, but otherwise looked alarmingly inert. "

      The quadruple take video is awful. Was Sir pat totally stoned?

      Delete
  2. I need to re-read this when I'm not drunk. As I am now. Because my MIL is visiting and my god Nan. My god. I have no focus but I'm coming back to this to click on every single link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is this quadruple take video? (Googles, then YouTubes...) Hm. Not exactly JLP material, I agree. I'd still have dinner with him, though, even if he wants to talk about triple takes. Especially if he brings Ian McKellen along - they should have their own show, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd hang out with Picard. Or Doctor Xavier. But Sir Pat? No.

      Delete
  4. Re: Patrick Stewart's May-December romance -- Everybody is gushing about that quadruple-take video but he treats his fiancee like a child in it. Kinda turned me off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It doesn't strike me as marriage of equals.

      Delete