Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Hot flash!

Since falling ill on Sunday with the flu (despite having taken the precaution of having a seasonal flu jab1) I have averaged two naps a day. During one of these my husband and eldest boy made sugar cookies:



This is all the more impressive because Mr Wrath and the boys are also under the weather. But they only have bad head colds with sinus headaches. Or else they have the same thing as me, but I am particularly wimpy.

I'm stalling right now. 

I'm tired, but not looking forward to heading to bed. I "slept" for a feverish 8 hours last night. I woke every two hours from dreams of being covered in festive foil wrapping paper, and being placed in a hot oven to roast like a baked potato. A festive baked potato. 

I knew in advance that it was going to be a restless night, so when the (newly minted) 10 year old asked if he could sleep in the living room next to the tree, I agreed as long as I could move into his bed.  It sounded like a great compromise. However he usually sleeps with the black cat, Osiris.  Osiris is a creature of habit. Upon finding me in the wrong bed, he hissed in my face and noisily stalked around the room. At some point he must have given up, because I awoke from one of the baked potato dreams to find him sitting on my chest, like a hot pat of butter. With a bad temper. 

• • • • • • • • 

1 -- For the record, I have not changed my opinion about the importance of getting a flu shot.   It's been at least 8 years since I had the seasonal flu (though I did contract the swine flu in 2009, prior to the vaccines being issued and it was a piece of cake in comparison).  This experience  has shown me that the flu is not something to be taken lightly. 

4 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better soon! Maybe you should change Osiris's name to Pat the Cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that reference! I'll go google Pat the Cat straight off.

      Delete
  2. This year is the first time I've even considered getting a flu jab, because this is the first year where my decision not to be vaccinated could put other people's lives in danger (since I now get up close and personal with newly-sprouted infants and mildly immuno-suppressed new mothers on a regular basis), but I am dreading the potential "side effect" of actually experiencing flu for the first time. It's good to know it hasn't felled you annually; I've been hearing horror stories. May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually book our shots for a Friday afternoon and then have a mellow weekend at home. The side effects pass w/in a day, two at the most. Good luck.

      Delete